Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dates

For many years I didn't eat dates because I thought I didn't like them. I tasted them as a child and didn't like them and that stuck with me for years. Then one day about 2 years ago I decided to try a date as we were trying to get away from unrefined sugars and so I tasted a date and to my surprise I absolutely loved them!!! Now, I can eat them every day and sometimes I do! :) If you eat them with plain popped popcorn they make it taste like caramel corn. If you eat them with an apple, it makes the apple taste like a caramel apple. I use them as my main sweetener. They are so good for you too.

Here is some information I picked up on dates on the web.....

Dates are my favorite fruit to eat as a desert, add to my smoothies and fruit dishes that I make. There are many varieties of date palm cultivated. ‘Amir Hajj’, ‘Saidy’, 'Khadrawy' and 'Medjool' is some of the important varieties that are popular for their superior quality. My favorite is the Medjool which is the sweetest and most delicious.

Dates area wonderfully delicious and are one of the most popular fruits packed with an impressive list of essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Dates compose are easily digestible flesh and simple sugars like fructose and dextrose. Dates replenish energy and revitalize the body instantly. For these qualities, they are used to break the fast during Ramadan month since ancient times.

Dares are rich in dietary fiber, which prevents LDL cholesterol absorption in the gut. Additionally, the fiber works as a bulk laxative protecting the colon mucous membrane by decreasing exposure time and as well as binding to cancer-causing chemicals in the colon.

Dates contain health benefiting flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants known as tannins. Tannins are known to possess anti-infective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hemorrhagic (prevent easy bleeding tendencies) properties. They are moderate sources of vitamin-A which is known to have antioxidant properties and essential for vision. Additionally, it is also required maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural fruits rich in vitamin A is known to help to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers. Dates are an excellent source of iron and potassium helping to control the heart rate and blood pressure as well as protecting our body against stroke and coronary hear disease.

Dates are also rich in minerals like calcium, manganese, copper, and magnesium. Calcium is an important mineral that is an essential constituent of bone and teeth, and required by the body for muscle contraction, blood clotting, and nerve impulse conduction. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme. Copper is required for the production of red blood cells. Magnesium is essential for bone growth.

Further, dates have adequate levels of B-complex group of vitamins as well as vitamin K. It contains very good amounts of vitamin B-6, niacin, pantothenic acid, and riboflavin. These vitamins are acting as cofactors that help our body metabolize carbohydrates, protein, and fats. Vitamin K is essential for many coagulant factors in the blood as well as in bone metabolism.

If I am asked what to use as a sweetener; I always recommend dates.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment